Friday, November 16, 2012

Beer Can Chicken

I decided, last weekend, to use the smoker to slow cook a whole chicken, Beer Can Chicken that is.....

Prep:

Shake 3 Beer BBQ Rub liberally all over the bird.  This gave it a nice spicy BBQ flavor.  For the beer, I had a Modelo Especial available to sit the chicken on and provide moisture.  Any flavor beer will work just fine.  Note: before shaking on the rub, take a little butter and rub it under the skin of the chicken.  This will help to keep the outside from drying out and provide flavor.                    

Grill:

I like to use a ceramic disc or aluminum foil for indirect heating (drip pans work great also)  I brought the temperature up to 250 ° and then sat the chicken on the beer can on the grill grate.  Now it's time to wait.

  Wait:

Leave the chicken on for approximately 2 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165-170°  (Note: If you don't have one, I advise investing in a digital thermometer with probe.)  I would rather cook to temperature, not time.


 





That's it, Time to eat!!





Thanksgiving's coming next week.......
Check back for Slow Smoked Turkey.


Thanks for reading and feel free to comment!!

2 comments:

  1. Should have used Sweetwater. By the way, what kind of blog is this? I've been waiting for 3 years for you to post something! WTF?

    ReplyDelete